I was doing some routine things with my httpd config today (adding
some rewrite rules and auth stuff for a new site), that had nothing to
do with any of my mason directories, and at one point restarted the
server and failed.  From the error_log:

[Sun May 15 11:09:27 2011] [error] Global symbol "%fglob" requires
explicit package name at /usr/share/perl5/base.pm line 22.\nGlobal
symbol "%vglob" requires explicit package name
at /usr/share/perl5/base.pm line 28.\nCompilation failed in require
at /usr/share/perl5/HTML/Mason/Plugin/Context.pm line 8.\nBEGIN
failed--compilation aborted
at /usr/share/perl5/HTML/Mason/Plugin/Context.pm line 8.\nCompilation
failed in require at /usr/share/perl5/HTML/Mason/Request.pm line 40.
\nBEGIN failed--compilation aborted
at /usr/share/perl5/HTML/Mason/Request.pm line 40.\nCompilation failed
in require at /usr/share/perl5/HTML/Mason/ApacheHandler.pm line 49.
\nBEGIN failed--compilation aborted
at /usr/share/perl5/HTML/Mason/ApacheHandler.pm line 49.\nCompilation
failed in require at (eval 3) line 2.\n

I've had to remove "perl-HTML-Mason.conf" and the other conf files for
mason locations.  These are the only places mason is referred to and
the mtime on them is more than a month ago.  This is a development
server that gets restarted very frequently, so this is not due to some
configuration change in the mason related conf files.

I did try returning everything to it's previous state (including
putting mason back in), so that I could check the new stuff a bit at a
time (eg, I'm now using auth_digest, which I wasn't loading before),
but that did not make any difference.   Making this really inexplicable.

Mod_perl and directories handled by other perl modules are still fine.

Anyone know what's up with that error?

MK

--
"Enthusiasm is not the enemy of the intellect." (said of Irving Howe)
"The angel of history[...]is turned toward the past." (Walter Benjamin)