>I could not get dhcpcd to work on 2.1.90, but I could manually
>configure the ethernet with the proper IP and communicate with the
>local network and the world.

Hmmm.. that's odd.  What version of dhcpcd are you running?

>What happens is that idle connections that go across the gateway
>will close.  If I telnet or ssh from the linuxppc machine to a
>host on the internet, and then go idle for about 10-15 minutes,
>the connection will drop.

The classis TCP timeout issue:

        Run this command just after you setup your IPFWADM MASQ
        rules:

        echo "Extending MASQ timeouts.."
        /sbin/ipfwadm -M -s 7200 10 120

BTW, if you haven't checked it out, check out my TrinityOS document.
Its a HOWTO for setting up MASQ, DHCP, dual nics (cablemodems), DNS,
PPP+DIALD (modem users), MASQ Sendmail, Security patching, etc.

        http://www.ecst.csuchico.edu/~dranch/LINUX/TrinityOS.wri

--David
 |  David A. Ranch  - Remote Access/Linux/PCs       [EMAIL PROTECTED]  |
 `----- For more detailed info, see http://www.ecst.csuchico.edu/~dranch -----'