>Perhaps the fact that I run a local name server makes a difference,
>because the Win95 boxes will never try to contact any external name
>servers; instead, they will ask the local server, and it always knows
>the answers for local hostnames.

This is definately one reason.  Also.. do you use Microsoft File/Print
Sharing on your internal LAN?

>My firewall is setup to deny incoming SMB traffic, but I don't have
>anything stopping outgoing traffic, and I haven't seen any of the boxes
>attempt to SMB their way out of my network.

Are you applying any filters on the internal interface?  I also hope
you have Samba configured to only run on the internal interface
and not ALL interfaces.

--David
|  David A. Ranch - Remote Access/Linux/PC hardware      [EMAIL PROTECTED]  |
`----- For more detailed info, see http://www.ecst.csuchico.edu/~dranch -----'