1.) Check your /etc/conf.modules file. This is where /sbin/modprobe look for
modules to load at boot time. You probably configured a second interface
(eth1) by mistake in X-Windows netcfg. Remove that entry.

2.) Traceroute usually defaults to eth0 even two interfaces are installed
and detected. Do:
        # traceroute -i eth1 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
eth1 is assumed to be the interface connected to the internet

3.) I do believe that the problem you are experiencing with FTP has to with
the MASQ FTP module not being loaded. IP MASQ does not fully support FTP by
nature. What I mean is that FTP uses two ports: Port 21 for the connection
itself and port 20 for the data. When you can easily connect to an FTP
server, an "ls" for instance would result in an error similar to the one you
provided. The error clearly shows that FTP-DATA is trying to use the same
port (port 21) as FTP while it should be using port 20. The module
"ip_masq_ftp.o" fixes that problem. Therefore, at the beginning of your
rules, place this:

/sbin/depmod -a
/sbin/modprobe ip_masq_ftp

That should take care of your problems. Ciao!!!

Good Luck!!!

--
Audie P.

The perimeters that we put on ourselves
are self-imposed...There are no boundaries.