First of all, you need to find out how your cable provider does the
connection.  I've done a cable modem setup that needed the ethernet
interface set to the IP 10.0.0.1/8 and used a dialup for the outbound
traffic (givin dynamically).

Does your cable use a modem in addition to the cable modem?
Does your provider use DHCP?
Might you have a static addresss?

If the answers end up being no, yes, no, then you are back to
troubleshooting dhcp.  I'm sorry but i'm not familiar with the linux dhcp
client. :)

                                                                -Aram