Hey everybody,

On my seemingly never ending task to find all "stuck" BGP sessions, I
feel like there is an interesting thing that could be done for the
RIPE RIS Beacons, and that is a pair of prefixes that alternate
between being visible and invisible (IE: unannounced).

I looked at the current estate of beacon prefixes and couldn't find
anything that would fit this use case already.

This would be useful to be able to tell if a prefix or session has got
a stuck prefix at that current moment in time, by being able to check
the time and see if the presence of a prefix shouldn't be visible.

In the interests of full disclosure this would be very useful for
bgp.tools to instantly “spot check” BGP feeds to see if they have
stuck prefixes or not.

What does everybody think? This should "only" require two /24s and two
/48s, and I think this would also help researchers see the severity of
stuck sessions in a much more measurable  way than having to wait for
hours for the beacons to go on or off!

(Apologies if this is not the right place for this kind of discussion,
but there were previous mails about the beacons here, so I figured
here was a good place)

Cheers
Ben