 From Newsweek [Society], June 4, 2001, pp. 43-44. See
http://www.msnbc.com/news/578838.asp#BODY
--------------------------
More than 20 percent of new teachers leave the profession in the
first three years; after five years, more than a third have gone on
to other careers. Money is the major reason. But rowdy kids,
apathetic parents and long hours also push even idealistic teachers
out. To find out more about what makes some stay and others leave,
NEWSWEEK asked three first-year teachers to keep diaries. Here's how
they did [below]
This is PART I of three parts.

A Year In The Life

Three novices talk about what it's like at the head of the class-and
why teaching is the hardest job to love

By Barbara Kantrowitz

The statistics should scare every parent. The nation's public schools
will need 2 million new teachers in the next decade, according to a
recent government report. It'll be tough to recruit them and even
tougher to keep them in the classroom.

Elizabeth Jackson, 23, teaches middle-school language arts in Evanston, Ill.

Elizabeth Jackson looks so young that more than one parent has
mistaken her for a student. And this is middle school. But her youth
hasn't spared her from shouldering the responsibility of educating
six classes a day at Nichols Middle School, and 120 students
representing an amazing cross section of America: white and black,
rich and poor. She says she learned to teach by paying attention to
the good and bad teachers in her own life. Her mother, who teaches
elementary school in Iowa City, was her first role model. But Jackson
is also haunted by the memory of a high-school English teacher whose
rules for writing were paralyzingly rigid. Years later Jackson still
recalls agonizing over a paper. "I sat writing a sentence, then
deleting it, for over an hour," she says. "In the end I dropped the
class, but the damage was done, and one thing was sure: I was not a
writer."

At Minnesota's St. Olaf College another teacher-a trusted
professor-undid that damage by recommending that Jackson take a class
in expository writing to help overcome her fears. It worked, and at
the end of the semester Jackson wrote her professor a note: "There is
nothing to say but thank you. You know what a struggle this has been
for me. I still have a lot of growing to do, but at least I'm no
longer scared."

Jackson's getting notes like that from her own students these days,
as well as some amazing pieces of writing. One boy, Gareth, "writes
as well as the best writers I knew in college," she says. "He wrote a
story early in the year that had me completely spellbound." There
have been rough moments, too: trying to help her students with
learning disabilities, difficult home lives and the inevitable
agonies of being stuck somewhere between childhood and the glories of
being a full-fledged teenager. Marlyn Payne, Jackson's mentor during
her student-teaching days at Nichols in the fall of 1999, says that
when Jackson first entered her classroom, she knew immediately that
this one was a keeper. "She had a strong sense of herself," Payne
says, "and she knew what she expected from the  students."

After a year in the trenches, that hasn't changed. "I became a
teacher," Jackson says, "because I understand the power to change a
person, for good or ill. And I hope, because I paid attention to my
teachers, that I will know how to nurture. I teach writing not
because it was easy and I was good at it, but because it was hard and
I learned to love it anyway."

DIARY

"There are no magic words that will motivate every student"

  OCT. 13: Another Friday. I want nothing but silence. The low buzz of
Juan's vacuum cleaner is about all I can take. I never appreciated
Fridays before. Never in college, not even during finals. Now, on my
drive home from school on Fridays, I take a deep breath and slowly
allow myself to become 22 again, to become Elizabeth rather than Ms.
Jackson. I look forward to a night on the town, maybe a date even,
but more than anything I think of how I will really sleep for the
first time in five nights, how I will allow myself to let go of my
students-the ones who never turn in any work despite my calls home,
the ones who won't sit still and can't stop talking, the ones who
work diligently every day and never get the praise they deserve
because I'm too frantic and disorganized to worry about anyone except
those who aren't "meeting the standard." I will not think about the
hours of grading I have to do. And I will not fret about what, and
how, I'm going to teach next week or next month. My dreams will be
school-free for at least tonight, which is the most relaxing thing I
can imagine. Three different teachers told me what a wonderful job
I'm doing today. Would they still say that if they sat in on my
first-period class today? If I'm doing so well then why won't my
ninth-period class shut up? If I'm wonderful, then why do I feel that
on most days I'm treading water and it's only a matter of time until
I drown?

OCT. 23: I have spent so much time and energy chasing after students
who are not turning in their work-offering them extra help after
school or at lunch, calling their parents, practically begging them.
I brood during the day and dream about them at night. I tried every
angle, and slowly I became less understanding and more frustrated and
threatening. I was a basket case. I was burning out to the point
where I could hardly enjoy the often phenomenal work I was getting
from many of my students. So, over the weekend I pounded it into
perspective. I said no to the guilt, let go of the anger and faced
facts. I cannot make my students work, and I cannot force them to
succeed. If teachers had that kind of power, no student would fail.
There are no magic words that will motivate every student. Teachers
find it hard to let go of the idea that we can be that one person who
guides all to success. And so many people seem to want us to be able
to fill that role. I wanted to scream when I watched George W talking
about "holding teachers accountable" during the debates. Give me
families that have enough money to feed their children and time to
read to them before bed. Give me 15 students in a class and a copy
machine that works more than every other week, and then we'll talk.

NOV. 27: When I came home last night and still had a pile of papers
to read, I just sort of froze up. Is this my life? One of my
roommates asked me what was wrong, and I peered up pathetically from
under my stack of papers. "I feel like my life, everything, is racing
past me at 90 miles per hour, and all I can do is just sit here like
this and watch it zoom by." I am a picture of confusion, dumbfounded
inadequacy, panic, failure and guilt. Regardless of how many hours I
give, I always feel like I could have/should have given more. So why
do I do this? Why not join my roommate, who works at an ad agency,
with an office on the 31st floor with a beautiful view of the city?
On days like today I have a hard time answering that question. Then I
open my desk drawer and see one of the reasons staring back at me. A
card and picture from one of my dearest students. "To: Ms.
Jackson/From: Dulce V./ you are the Best teacher/ i have ever knew./
And you are so/nice like you're own/Heart." That's Dulce, honest and
unedited. Because she grew up in a jumbled world of English and
Spanish, she doesn't have a strong linguistic foundation. But she's
only in seventh grade and she has time. That's why I'm here.

FEB. 13: I was the chaperone at the Valentine's Day dance. I really
didn't want to be there, but then I started to receive some of the
perks of being the youngest teacher in the building, the "rookie."
The students never seem to mind my being there and some even want me
to join in the dancing (which I of course refuse because they already
take advantage of every possible opportunity to see me as one of
them). They don't even mind as much when I break up their bumping and
grinding, as if, again, I somehow understand their raging hormones
better because of my age. And I suppose I might. I sometimes have
flashbacks of my own junior-high dances, which didn't look much
different from theirs. When a girl is shaking her ass all over the
floor and a little boy behind her just can't help but grab onto it, I
simply pull him aside and say sternly, but with a smile, "You can
look, but don't touch."

MAY 3: I have found reasons to love almost all of my students. Some
of them for their kindness and insight, some because they make me
laugh every day no matter how I try to hold it in and deny them the
satisfaction, and some simply because they get up in the morning and
come to school even though their home lives are more difficult than I
can ever understand. As long as they surprise me, I will continue to
love this job. Marlyn Payne, my first mentor and close friend, told
me earlier this year that if she ever sits down and writes a book
about teaching middle school she has the perfect title: "Dancing on
the Edge." When I think about my first year of teaching, which has
also been my first year in the "real world," I can't think of a more
accurate image.

I'm sure many young teachers leave because they can't maintain the
balance, or they never find it in the first place. Teachers leave
because, in this country, the entire profession is under-appreciated
and misunderstood by everyone who has not done their time in the
classroom. Time and time again, people who haven't spent a day in the
classroom, let alone a week, are given the power to dictate our
salary, our pre-teaching training, our standards, our curriculum and
"requirements for re-certification."

Despite these insulting truths, I think that I will probably stay. I
work with outstanding people every day. I have models for keeping the
balance and reinventing myself as a teacher when the time comes. My
two teaching mentors will leave Nichols next year. One to lead the
English department at the high school, and one to tackle new and
different challenges at the elementary level. Although most of me
wishes they would stay to see me  through a few more years, I know
that they need to make these changes for themselves. I also know they
will continue to be models for me, when my time comes to reinvent
myself.
-----------------
Photography by Grant Delin.
PART II will follow shortly.