The money will be spent on reading and math and security.  I have seen how
these block grants work.  Everything that is valued in a student's well
rounded education is left behind.  Art, music, science, social studies, etc.
are all left to leftovers.

The only thing that keeps science in the schools right now is the Eisenhower
dollars.  Just look at the report card - math and reading skills are broken
down to their essential elements.  Students get multiple grades for reading
and math skills. Everything else gets one lump grade.  What a pity.  I do not
at all favor block grants.

Melanie Wojtulewicz
Science Manager, CPS