* Neale Pickett <ne...@woozle.org> [2012-09-13 13:55 -0400]:
> On 9/13/2012, "David J. Weller-Fahy"> <dave-lists-math...@weller-fahy.com>
> wrote:
> >I've come across a need to access a directory as a particular user,
> >but without running a CGI script... so...
>
> I can only speculate as to what's driving this need... but have you
> considered using either groups or POSIX ACLs to allow the web user
> read access to whatever files are needed?

Indeed - I've 'fixed' the problem by changing the owner of the directory
in question, which has solved the problem for now (made it usable), and
because mailman doesn't mess with the archive file directory ownership
unless being installed, it is a usable workaround.  However, given I
like my server to do as much as possible within the framework of the OS
installed (Debian stable), I'd like to be able to tell Mathopd:
"Whenever you access anything inside this control group, use this user
to do so (since you StayRoot as requested anyway)."

This was more a "need" of convenience, rather than a "need" of ZOMG I'll
die. ;)  But I think it could be very useful.

Regards,
--
dave [ please don't CC me ]