I seem to have found a fix.  The key point was this comment in
pprdrv_tt2.cpp:

        else            /* The tt spec. does not clearly indicate */
            {            /* whether these values are signed or not. */
              arg1 = *(signed char *)(glyph++);
              arg2 = *(signed char *)(glyph++);
        }

By adding the cast to (signed char *), things seem to work.  I guess
that's what the spec does in practice!  This doesn't seem to break Latin
compound glyphs that used to work (the only thing that has been
extensively tested up until now), so I'm pretty confident that's the
correct fix.  This has been fixed in SVN.  Please try with more Korean
characters and let me know if you still see anything strange.

Cheers,
Mike

Michael Droettboom wrote:
> Correction -- no need to send the image.  You said png output was
> correct, so I'll just compare against that.
>
> Michael Droettboom wrote:
>
>> The code that generates the Type 3 fonts for us is fairly old (1995),
>> and certainly predates the widespread adoption of Unicode, so I'm
>> somewhat not surprised this doesn't work.  I'll have a brief look to see
>> if there are any obvious fixes, but we're unlikely to implement a
>> full-fledged Unicode rendering system (like Pango) any time soon.  Since
>> I don't read Korean, can you provide an image file of what the resulting
>> compound glyph is supposed to look like?
>>
>> As a workaround, you could try using the Cairo backend to generate
>> Postscript and PDF.  It may do a better job.  You could also try other
>> Korean fonts -- they may not use compound glyph composition.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Mike
>>
>> Jae-Joon Lee wrote:
>>

>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I wanted to render some Korean text in my matplotlib figure and this
>>> is how I did (with python2.5 and trunk version of matplotlib).
>>>
>>> # -*- coding: utf-8 -*-
>>> from pylab import *
>>>
>>> import matplotlib.font_manager as fm
>>> fp=fm.FontProperties(fname="/users/research/lee/.fonts/Eunjin.ttf",
>>> size=100)
>>>
>>> plot([1,2,3])
>>> text(1.,1.5, u'이', fontproperties=fp)
>>> savefig("test.eps")

Michael Droettboom
Science Software Branch
Operations and Engineering Division