"John Hunter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 3:38 PM, Ken McIvor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On Jun 12, 2008, at 3:22 PM, John Hunter wrote:
> >>
> >> If some wx guru sees an easy fix here, by all means add it.
> >
> > Not to imply that I'm a guru, but I'll try to look into it this evening.
>
> Well, you are a guru to us :-)
>
> >> Otherwise, we should decide on a minimum wxpython version for the
> >> trunk and raise an exception.
> >
> > I'm always in favor of ensuring that MPL can run on Debian Stable without
> > too much pain and suffering.  Doing so would entail supporting wxPython 2.6.
>
> It looks like debian stable is now packaging numpy 1.01.  Am I reading
> this right?
>
>   http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=python-numpy

Yes, that's right. 1.1 is likely to be in the next debian release.

> I think it is reasonable for folks who want the latest mpl to be
> willing to get the latest numpy.  For the GUI toolkits, given how hard
> they are to build, your suggestion of targeting debian stable may be
> more reasonable, but supporting multiple GUI versions has always been
> a pain since we definitely want to support the most recent.
>
> wxpython is on 2.8.7 and stable is still 2.6? pygtk is at 2.10 and
> debian stable is at 2.6.  matplotlib is at 0.98 and debian stable is
> at 0.87 (Oct 2006 release).

September is the target date for the next release of debian according
to the release schedule at:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2008/06/msg00000.html

The packages currently in debian are:

                            Distribution(codename)

Package           Stable        Testing         Unstable
                  (etch)        (lenny)         (sid)
python-matplotlib 0.87.7-0.3    0.91.2-2        0.91.2-2
python-wxversion  2.6.3.2.1.5   2.6.3.2.2-2     2.6.3.2.2-2
python-gtk2       2.8.6-8       2.12.1-1        2.12.1-6
python-numpy      1:1.0.1-1     1:1.0.4-8       1:1.1.0-1
python            2.4.4-2       2.5.2-1         2.5.2-1

There is also
python-wxversion (2.8.7.1-0.1) in experimental.

Packages are uploaded to unstable. If after a period of time (usually
10 days) there are no major bugs found, and their dependencies can be
met by packages in testing, they migrate to testing.
For more details http://www.debian.org/releases/testing/ and
http://www.debian.org/devel/testing

Thus packages in "testing" will be in the next stable release (barring
show stopping bugs), packages in "unstable" will probably be in the
next stable release, and packages in "experimental" may or may not be
in the next stable release.

Thus I'd expect python-numpy 1.1.0 to make the next release, but
python-wxversion (2.8.7.1) is looking a bit marginal.

> So if we want to support stable, *and*
> the latest releases, we've got a lot of ongoing compatibility work to
> do.  For backend maintainers willing to do it, I think that will be
> good.  But I am hesitant to target such a slow moving repository as a
> requirement.

Would the next debian release (lenny) be a better target for
development versions of matplotlib?

What version of matplotlib do you want to go into the next debian release?

Chris