That's a bug created by not updating thetagrids and rgrids after the
recent transformation refactoring.

I believe it is not fixed in r5594.  Can you update and let me know if
you're still having trouble?

Thanks,
Mike

Tony Yu wrote:
> I was playing around with polar plots and trying to alter the grid
> labels when I ran into some weird errors. Whenever I call
> pyplot.thetagrids() (and similarly with rgrids) I get:
>
> *>>> AttributeError:* 'PolarAxesSubplot' object has no attribute
> 'thetagridlines
>
> After searching the MPL directory, it didn't seem like thetagridlines
> was defined anywhere. Alternatively, If I call thetagrids with an
> argument [e.g. thetagrids(range(45,360,90))], I get
>
> *>>> TypeError:* 'NoneType' object is not iterable
>
> which comes from the following line in pyplot:

> Strangely, the set_thetagrids method of PolarAxes doesn't return any
> values and this is causing the TypeError above.
>
> I'm really confused about these errors. Any help would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> -Tony
>
> PS: Full tracebacks are shown below.
> I'm on MPL trunk, r5588.
>
> CASE 1:
> ------------
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "polar.py", line 19, in <module>
>     lines, labels = thetagrids()
>   File
> "/Users/Tony/python/matplotlib/trunk/matplotlib/lib/matplotlib/pyplot.py",
> line 984, in thetagrids
>     lines = ax.thetagridlines()
> AttributeError: 'PolarAxesSubplot' object has no attribute
> 'thetagridlines'
>
> CASE 2:
> ------------
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "polar.py", line 19, in <module>
>     lines, labels = thetagrids(range(45,360,90))
>   File
> "/Users/Tony/python/matplotlib/trunk/matplotlib/lib/matplotlib/pyplot.py",
> line 987, in thetagrids
>     lines, labels = ax.set_thetagrids(*args, **kwargs)
> TypeError: 'NoneType' object is not iterable

Michael Droettboom
Science Software Branch
Operations and Engineering Division
Space Telescope Science Institute