Paul Kienzle wrote:

> Also a linear perceptual scale would work better than HSV but I don't
> know of one off hand.

L*u*v* or its cylindrical-coordinate cousin L*t*theta* (or LCH_uv). "Choosing
Color Palettes for Statistical Graphics" is a nice paper talking about an
implementation in R (although they do seem to misname L*t*theta* as HCL, which
officially is different):

   http://eeyore.ucdavis.edu/stat250/epub-wu-01_abd.pdf

For the "real" HCL, which also might be useful:

   http://mmis.doc.ic.ac.uk/mmir2005/CameraReadyMissaoui.pdf

The main problem with perceptual colorspaces is that they do not map neatly to
the color gamut of the RGB or CMYK colorspaces of typical rendering devices.

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."
   -- Umberto Eco