Hello list (especially Erik, who can fix this I hope) -

I have had problems with shared axes, especially when one of the axis has an
aspect ratio that is set 'equal'. It has been discussed on the list before
(mostly with Erik Firing), but it hasn't been fixed yet. What I want to do
is have two plots. The top plot has an aspect ratio that is 'equal'. The
idea is to have a contour plot in the top figure, while the bottom figure
gives a cross-sectional picture of what I am plotting. This used to work
well (quite some time ago), including zooming and such. But now I cannot
plot it at all, let alone zoom.

My first problem is when I add a subplot with a shared x-axis, it changes
the limits on the original x-axis. That seems to be a bug:
ax1 = subplot(211)
plot([1,2,3])  # Now the limits of the x-axis go from 0 to 2.
subplot(212,sharex=ax1)  # Now the limits of both x-axis go from 0 to 1.

After all, the new subplot shares the axis with the existing subplot, so why
doesn't it copy the axis limits from that subplot?

But the bigger problem occurs when I want the aspect ratio of one of the
first axis to be 'equal'.

ax1 = subplot(211,aspect='equal')
plot([1,2,3])
subplot(212,sharex=ax1)

The second subplot is added, but the length of the graph is not the same as
for the first subplot. It also resets the xlimits to go from 0 to 1, as
before, which means the first subplot becomes unreadable (it still enforces
'equal' in the first subplot by changing the limits of the y-axis). When I
now change the limits on the x-axis, the aspect ratio is not equal anymore

ax1.set_xlim(0,2)
draw()

Thanks for your help. I am willing to help in testing any changes.

Best regards, Mark