Hmm... Seems Thunderbird butchered my long URLs.

Anyway, the problem is worse than I thought.  Since the branch was
created from trunk/ to branches/v0_98_4_maint/, svnmerge.py will only
merge from one of those to the other.  What we really want to be able to
do is merge from branches/v0_98_4_maint/matplotlib to trunk/matplotlib
(i.e. source tree to source tree, not from the whole matplotlib universe
to another), so the branch must be created in the same way.  svnmerge
does its magic by going back to find how the branch was created, and if
the merging doesn't match the branch operation, it basically can't do
anything.  Hope that description makes sense.

This means, presently, in order to do a merge, one has to check out the
whole kit-and-caboodle with htdocs, py4science etc., and not just the
matplotlib source tree.

I would suggest fixing this creating a new branch just from the source
tree, and setting up merging from that to the trunk source tree, and
then retiring or deleting the current v0_98_4_maint branch (if that's
possible).

In the meantime, I've removed merge tracking on branches/v0_98_4_maint
to trunk/matplotlib, since it's broken.

Cheers,
Mike