First of all let me apologize for the problems we have been
seeing with the binaries as of late.  Frankly the root of the problem
might be my detachment from the matplotlib source for some time.
Unfortunately due to my time constraints, this won't be changing soon.
 I used to think being somewhat on the outside helped me keep the ease
of the build process in check.  This gap has apparently grown too
wide.
     Moving ahead, python 2.6 and 3.0 are going to pose new challenges
since they require new versions of visual studio I do not have access
to.  Doing builds for 4 windows versions poses a great time to work on
a standard cygwin build setup (not that the cygwin build process
doesn't work as is).  In addition to that we are going to possibly be
seeing osx fat binaries with 4 architectures!  I am more than happy to
continue to contribute my time to create these builds, but I think it
only makes sense to have a release candidate cycle before formally
pushing to sourceforge.

- Charlie