One question to ask is whether we need both the .pdf and .html manuals,
or whether that could be broken up into two packages.  That seems like
an easy one if that fits Debian policies (which I know nothing about) --
and wouldn't degrade the documentation experience at all.

Is there any way to transparently gzip compress the html files (as I
believe Debian does with manpages)?

Another option would be to not generate the high-res png and pdf
examples.  (Either or both).  Just removing them after the fact won't
work, since one would end up with broken links from the docs.  We would
also have to change the html to not include those links.  It should be
fairly simple to provide an option to the doc build system to do this,
and I'm happy to implement that if we all agree that's the direction to
take.

Beyond that, we'd be looking at selectively including certain examples,
which I worry would add additional maintenance burden if there's too
much divergence between the "full" and "small" manuals.  I think that
road should be a last resort.

Mike

Sandro Tosi wrote:
> Hello,
> the problem is this:
>
> $ ls -l python-matplotlib-doc_0.98.5-1_all.deb
> -rw-r--r-- 1 morph morph 91141234 2008-12-16 10:39
> python-matplotlib-doc_0.98.5-1_all.deb
>
> 90M of doc package is a "little bit"... and expanded it's
>
> $ du . -hs
> 119M
>
> In this package we install: doc/build/html/
> doc/build/latex/Matplotlib.pdf examples/*
>
> So I dig into a bit to identify the cause of such a big jump (0.98.3
> has a 16M doc package) and the biggest dir seems to be
> html/_static/plot_directive/mpl_examples/pylab_examples with >50M (a
> full result of "find examples/ html/ -type d -exec du -s {} \;" is
> attached; if you need I can add a full file list). In that particular
> dir (like in many other) i see a png, and hi-res png and a pdf file:
> are those all needed?
>
> At the end, is there a way we packagers can reduce this package size?
> (a fast stat showed it would be the second biggest -doc package in
> Debian.)
>
> Thanks,

Michael Droettboom
Science Software Branch