On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 22:25, John Hunter <jdh2...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sandro -- do you distribute something like a matplotlib-devel, so that
> people who want to compile mpl, and build the docs, could do so
> themselves with a simple

do you mean something like the source package + debianization? of
course we do! :) you need a "source" line in the /etc/apt/sources.list
(something like deb-src <url>) and then

apt-get source <source_package_name>

in this case matplotlib.

>  > apt-get install python-matplotlib-devel
>  > cd ~/path/to/mpl/docs
>  > python make.py html latex
>
> That would be nice, because it would make it easier for users and
> developers to contribute to the docs and test their changes.  Right
> now there is something of a barrier to entry for people who want to
> contribute to the docs.

once you issued that "apt-get source" you'll have a nice "<pkg
nam>-<version>" dir in . with the upstream tarball uncompress and with
the debianization applied. With that, you can do all you can with the
upstream source code, or use debian tools to compile the package.

I hope I answered your question,