> I will have a look at the code for both PyGTK and OS X.
> Hopefully that will show me more of the best way of
> handling this.

The code in PyGTK is a bit easier to understand than the code for OS X. The OS
X code also includes stuff to handle SIGINTs (keyboard interrupts by ctrl-c),
which is nice but not really essential.

> But, what happens if PyOS_InputHook is called
> repeatedly.  Are you not then starting the event loop
> multiple times.  Can you say more about what happens in
> this case?

On the first call to PyOS_InputHook, you start the event loop, and you stay in
the event loop until some input is available on stdin. So Python never gets the
chance to call PyOS_InputHook repeatedly.
Depending on if and how readline is installed, it is possible that once input
is available on stdin and PyOS_InputHook exits, PyOS_InputHook is called a
second time. But that doesn't do any real damage: the event loop is restarted,
but it exits immediately because input is available on stdin. It's good to
double-check that that works on wx though. Another option is to write your hook
function as follows:

check if any input is available on stdin; if so, return

add fileno(stdin) to the set of file descriptors to be watched by the event loop

start the event loop; if input is available on stdin, exit the event loop and
return

--Michiel.