Paul Kienzle wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What's the status of interactive property editors for mpl graphs?
>
> I would like something that would allow me to change properties such
> as the size and position of the graph, grids, scales, ranges, colors,
> symbols, line styles, fonts, etc., and add annotations.  Some of this
> already exists, but allowing users to enter specific values will need
> an underlying widget toolkit.
>
> Does anybody have anything that I can build on for wx?

I though about making such a program but concluded it would be a major
undertaking. I considered using GTK because that's what I use, but
otherwise any toolkit will do. I still have some major unresolved design
issues to implement such an application:

- How would the state of the editor be saved? In a new file type (in
json for example)? Is there any standard format for this? If it was
feasible I'd like to import and export small python scripts, but the
import capabilities seem unlikely.

- Mpl is very flexible (just look at the gallery). Would the editor be
limited to a subset of the capabilities or the objective would be to
take mpl to the limit? Including subplots? and heterogeneous graphics?
The interface could get very complex very quickly indeed.

- I seem to recall an open source graphics application along these
lines, but can't remember its name (maybe SciGraphica).

If someone is working on such a thing, or if you want to make one I
could tinker a bit, but I really don't have enough time to start a major
application. BTW I'm not a mpl developer, just a satisfied user :)

Regards,
João Silva