Michael Hearne wrote:
> I just built matplotlib and basemap from source on a RHEL system, with
> EPD as my base Python installation.
>
> The build procedure for matplotlib was fairly straightforward, as was
> basemap (once I read Jeff's documentation on installing).
>
> However, once I try to import basemap, I get an error about dbflib
> (ipython session below):

Mike:  Try editing setup.cfg and changing

pyshapelib = True

It's set to 'auto' by default.  I bet it's detecting an existing
pyshapelib install, but then can find all the parts of it that it needs.

-Jeff
> In [1]: from mpl_toolkits.basemap import Basemap
> ImportError                               Traceback (most recent call
> last)
>
> /home/shake/losspager/1.15/<ipython console> in <module>()
>
> /usr/local/epd/lib/python2.5/site-packages/mpl_toolkits/basemap/
> __init__.py in <module>()
>       36 from matplotlib.lines import Line2D
>       37 from matplotlib.transforms import Bbox
> ---> 38 import pyproj, sys, os, math, dbflib
>       39 from proj import Proj
>       40 import numpy as np
>
> ImportError: No module named dbflib
>
> Where is dbflib supposed to be?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike

Jeffrey S. Whitaker         Phone  : (303)497-6313
Meteorologist               FAX    : (303)497-6449
NOAA/OAR/PSD  R/PSD1        Email  : jeffrey.s.whita...@noaa.gov
325 Broadway                Office : Skaggs Research Cntr 1D-113
Boulder, CO, USA 80303-3328 Web    : http://tinyurl.com/5telg