Interesting result.  I pulled all of the new "actual" files from the 21
failing tests on the buildbots to my local machine and all of those
tests now pass for me.  Good.  Interestingly, there are still two tests
failing on my machine which did not fail on the buildbots, so I can't
grab the buildbots' new output.  Could this just be a thresholding issue
for the tolerance value? I'm a little wary of "polluting" the baseline
images with images from my machine which doesn't have our "standard"
version of Freetype, so I'll leave those out of SVN for now, but will go
ahead and commit the new baseline images from the buildbots.  Assuming
these two mystery failures are resolved by pulling new images from the
buildbots, I think this experiment with turning of hinting is a success.

As an aside, is there an easy way to update the baselines I'm missing?
At the moment, I'm copying each result file to the correct folder under
tests/baseline_images, but it takes me a while because I don't know the
heirarchy by heart and there are 22 failures.  I was expecting to just
manually verify everything was ok and then "cp *.png" from my scratch
tests folder to baseline_images and let SVN take care of which files had
actually changed.  This is just the naive feedback of a new set of eyes:
it's extremely useful and powerful what you've put together here.

Mike