Ian Thomas wrote:
> Eric Firing wrote:
>> I've only glanced so far, but one thing that caught my eye is your
>> documentation changes and code regarding the need for simply-connected
>> paths.  This is obsolete--mpl now handles multiply-connected paths.
>
> Thanks for clarifying this, I now understand the 'point kinds' in
> cntr.c which I originally thought were for debug purposes.  It will
> make my code simpler in the end.
>
>> A second initial suggestion is that you divide the work into two patches,
>> one of which provides the refactoring of existing code (presumably only in
>> contour.py), and a second which adds the new functionality.
>
> Good idea.  I've attached the first patch which changes axes.py and
> contour.py, plus adds the new example contour_manual.py.  My approach
> to the refactoring is probably more of a C++ than pythonic way of
> thinking with derived classes that override base class methods, but it
> avoids changing much of the low level code and avoids code duplication
> when tricontour is added in.
>
> Ian

Ian,

I went ahead and committed your refactoring.  It seems to work fine.
Contour.py was not pretty before the refactoring, and it is still not
pretty, but I don't think it is much worse, if at all.  I have a vague
sense that ideally it would be factored somewhat differently, but I
don't seem to have the time or vision to pursue it right now, and maybe
if I did, I would still run into a dead end.  So, let's proceed with
what you have.  If inspiration strikes later, I suspect it won't be too
hard to modify both contour and tricontour accordingly.

Eric