Apologies if you receive this twice - I joined the mailing list with
one address, then posted from another. Mods, feel free to bin the
other copy of the post.

If you want to get more people testing the next version, I've set up a
PPA to build the development version of matplotlib nightly for Ubuntu
Precise. This includes building a Python 3 binary package - so it's
possible to get a basic scientific Python 3 environment without having
to compile anything locally.

Use it at your own risk, because I'm still learning the ropes of
packaging. I've checked that it imports and can display a simple plot.
If you want to improve the packaging stuff, launchpad 'merge
proposals' are welcome:
https://code.launchpad.net/~takluyver/matplotlib/debian-daily

Thanks,
Thomas