Hi!
I would like to ask for a code review for a new backend I wrote for creating
figures with Xelatex/Lualatex. It uses the PGF (Tikz) Package for all
drawing operations and enables full unicode support and typesetting of
texts/formulas using Latex. This way, the figures created fit perfectly in
Latex documents. Furthermore, Xelatex/Lualatex is able to use the fonts
installed on your operating system. The drawing commands of the PGF pictures
can be included in Latex documents or can be directly compiled to PDF by the
backend.

Github project for hosting the code, usage instructions and examples:
https://github.com/pwuertz/matplotlib-backend-pgf

A document demonstrating the benefits of using Xelatex/PGF:
https://github.com/pwuertz/matplotlib-backend-pgf/raw/master/demo/demo.pdf

Gallery of the matplotlib examples processed with backend_pgf:
https://github.com/pwuertz/matplotlib-backend-pgf/wiki/Examples%20Gallery
A few exceptions are known to fail due to Latex incompatible math-text.

This is a matplotlib branch set up as suggested in the matplotlib developer
wiki. It includes the code from above and adds new rc-parameters and the
'.pgf' file type.
https://github.com/pwuertz/matplotlib/compare/master...pgf-backend

Discussions are usually taking place at the github diff, right? I hope
you'll find this an interesting option for creating figures with matplotlib.

Cheers,
Peter