On 26 August 2012 18:19, Michael Droettboom <md...@stsci.edu> wrote:
> I understand the comments about the difficulty of introspection. The
> reason it works the way it does is so that additional parameters can be
> added to the artist layer without needing to update every single
> plotting function.  A real world example of this is when hatching was
> added -- that feature only had to be added in one place and most artists
> were able to use it.  In that sense, I think this approach is very
> beautiful in terms of code maintainability and extensibility.

I'm jumping into this conversation a bit late, but from Python 3.3 it
will be possible to set a __signature__ attribute on a function, using
a Signature object which can be programmatically generated. So it
should be possible, with a bit of legwork, to introspect pass-through
parameters without having to manually declare them at the highest
level.

The details are here:
http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0362/

Thanks,