I have tagged and created a tarball for 1.2.0rc1. The githash is bda6dd9feab8. The tarball is on the github download page here:

https://github.com/matplotlib/matplotlib/downloads

I have created a new branch, v1.2.x, for continuing 1.2.x development. The feature freeze on master is now lifted and big experimental changes can be merged into master. Any bugfixes that need to go into 1.2.x should be merged into both places. Please mark any PRs for the 1.2.x branch with the 1.2.x milestone so we can verify that things are merged in both places.

For those creating the Windows and Macintosh builds, let's try using the github download page rather than the one at Sourceforge this time. It is a lot simpler.

For those creating distro packages, now is a good time to let us know what can be done to make the inclusion of matplotlib 1.2.0 as smooth as possible.

Once the binaries are available, I will make an announcement to matplotlib-users.

Mike