I think Eric idea is a good solution. This is just to point out that I did
something similar
with kw args to savefig in the image comparison decorator for tests.  See
the changes in
decorators.py in this pull request
https://github.com/matplotlib/matplotlib/pull/1420 . Seems to work fine.

Greetings, Jens