On 7 January 2013 16:57, Benjamin Root <ben.r...@ou.edu> wrote:

> I was just reading some comments from Richard Stallman on ./ when I
> noticed that he pointed out a useful autoconf feature that was added
> somewhat recently.  Essentially, this feature would allow one to do a
> build/install of a python module using the "./configure; make install"
> approach, if one chooses.  Maybe it should be something to consider adding
> to our build system?

My 2 cents: I took over the maintenance of a Python project built by
autotools. The build system felt more complex than the actual application -
a fantastic world of .am files generating .in files generating Makefiles,
which themselves were packed with abstractions. I had little idea how to
change anything in the build process, and before long I ripped it out in
favour of setup.py, despite all distutils' flaws.

I'm sure that's more a question of my experience than of autotools, but I'd
think twice before adding it to a project.

Best wishes,
Thomas