On 10/16/13 1:58 PM, Michael Droettboom wrote:
> Sorry to take so long to get to this. This is a nice piece of work.
>
> The most obvious thing is that this is a copy-and-paste of the existing
> WebAgg backend -- and maintaining the two is going to be much harder
> than building both out of the same pieces.  As of 6389d14f, the WebAgg
> backend was refactored so that the transport that it uses to communicate
> to the browser is no longer hard coded.  This was done in large part to
> support working with IPyhton in this way.  (That is, it used to only
> communicate with the browser through Tornado, but now it can be anything
> that can send bits back and forth).  There's an example of this in
> `examples/user_interfaces/embedding_webagg.py` that shows how to do this
> (using Tornado, but again, it doesn't have to be). There's no guarantees
> that this interface is sufficient, so it may require some back and forth
> on this to make it all work.
>
> I think the first thing I would do would be to refactor this to use
> that.  It's a little hard to tell what you've changed from the original
> WebAgg backend to get it to support IPython.  If it were built on top
> of, rather than in addition to, WebAgg, that would be more obvious.

Thanks for the feedback.  I was thinking that a refactor to pull out the
communication layer would be really nice.

I didn't change the WebAgg backend because I figured you wanted it
around still.  I figured a plain old diff with the file would reveal
changes.

Anyways, thanks for the pointer to the refactor commit.  I hope to look
at this again sometime soon.

Jason