On 25/10/2013 15:34, Benjamin Root wrote:

> This has already been done. We have the GridSpec API that everything
> else maps to, for compatibility. But most people still like
> add_subplot() and subplots() for some odd reason... I think the primary
> issue is one of documentation, and we are currently in the process of
> upgrading that. We always welcome contributions to that effort!

Hello Benjamin,

thanks for your comments.  I'm aware of the solutions you propose, but I
maintain that the status quo is confusing for new users.

The fact that there are multiple ways of doing the same thing, through
apparently unrelated interfaces makes the API more difficult to learn
and less discoverable that it needs to be.  This is probably a
conseqence of the organic growth of the library with time.

I agree that the primary issue is the documentation, but at the root of
that I also feel there is the lack of well established best practices
for the use of Matplotlib. For example you write that people still like
add_subplot() and subplots() for odd reasons, which are the methods
others in the lists pointed to. What would be the proper API to use in
your opinion?  I believe convergence on best practices is paramount to
the update of the documentation.

I also don't really buy the argument that it is desirable to keep and
promote APIs that try to emulate the Matlab interface.  Matplotlib is
different enough to make a 1:1 translation difficult and the Matlab
design is anyhow broken, IMHO.

Best,
Daniele

PS: with a new job also came the possibility to finally drop Matlab and
embrace Python as the main data analysis tool. This means that I can
dedicate some (at the moment very few) spare cycles to contribute to
Matplotlib. I would be happy to do so!