One of the other driving factors to over-haul the default date handling is
that floats do not have enough precision to deal with nano-second
resolution data (which is what I think drove pandas to use datetime64).

It sounds like the correct solution

Is the unit framework documented anywhere and are those custom classes
public?

Tom