The website is generated by sphinx from the docstrings and other components
in the doc/ directory of the matplotlib project. The file for the home page
can be found:
https://github.com/matplotlib/matplotlib/blob/master/doc/_templates/index.html

By the way, the file for the "Documenting mpl" page is here:
https://github.com/matplotlib/matplotlib/blob/master/doc/devel/documenting_mpl.rst

And, like I said, even if you don't get around to actually making any
changes, at the very least, I would file these issues as "bugs" to our
issue tracker.

Cheers!
Ben Root