One thing to note, that the backend structure will hopefully change soon
with a huge refactor of the backends.

Take a look https://github.com/matplotlib/matplotlib/pull/4143 for the
current progress and feel free to give your comments.

As a status update, I currently work on the WebAgg backend (which of the
backends I have converted, seems the most obfuscated of them all) and
have just finished reading through, and marking up the code with TODOs
ready for refactor of that backend.  I will also update the MEP page to
flesh out parts that I feel need more detail.

Best,
OceanWolf