> Understood.  But do not overlook that PyInstaller is really
> the current life of Gordon McMillan's Python Installer,
> so it really is not a new kid on the block.

I gave PyInstaller a try, and it seemed to be smart and easy at first, and
created a single exe that was just 8MB.  The problem is that
when I run the exe,  It gives me the following errors before it
crashes:

 - Fatal Error: MSVCR71.DLL!
 - Fatal Error:  colud not be extracted.
 - Fatal Error: Error loading Python DLL
 - a message box pointing to python24.dll in a temp dir.
 - Fatal Error:
 - "Please tell microsoft about this problem." [Don't send]

moving msvcr71.dll and python24.dll to the same directory
didn't change anything.

I'll put some more time into trying it, but my first impression isn't good.

Meanwhile, I've removed numarray entirely from the project, and am using
matplotlib.rcParams['numerix'] = 'numpy'

and py2exe + nsis is working pretty well.  I have a working single
executable that is 12MB, but it takes about 18 seconds to decompress &
run.  If I turn off the
NSIS lzw compression, then it it is a 46MB executable, and runs in about 12
seconds.

I might be trying to create my own C++ wxWidgets top level application
and embed wxPython & matplot lib in that.  (has anyone ever had luck
doing this?)

Thanks,
-Jim