On this topic, here is something I used the other day (just some
different dash sequences):

e, = plot(x, y, 'k', label=r'$\theta_3=%1.2f$'%(th3))
setp(e, dashes={0:(1,0), 1:(2,2), 2:(10,4), 3:(10,4,4,4), 4:(10,2,2,2),
5:(15,2,6,2)}[i])

Maybe we should just blatantly copy the gnuplot sequence, although the
sequence might be gpl'ed!
One question which arises is that it wasn't clear what to set dashes to
to get a solid line. I ended up doing the 0: case above i.e. (1,0), but
I suspect this isn't ideal because it might generate lots of unwanted
line segments. I think I tried None and (1) and it didn't work. Perhaps
(999,0) would be better?

Gary R.