Joris De Ridder wrote:
> As far as I understand, the algorithm works as follows:
>
> 1) Define what you mean by "dense" points
>     a) init what you mean by far_away
>     b) start at the first point, and loop over the points until you find one
> far_away
>     c) hop to that one, continue looping until you find again a point far_away
>     d) hop to that one, continue looping... etc  until you looped over all
> points
>     e) count the number of hops.
>         If all points turn out to be far away from each other, 'far_away'
>         was too conservative -> increase far_away and repeat steps b)-e).
>         In the other case: you found a definition of "dense"

This is an odd way to do it. It seems to me that the only way to define
"dense" is by resolution. What resolution do you want to be able to
display? As PS is scalable, this isn't an easy question, but it is at
least limited by the resolution of PS -- does PS use floating or fixed
point, and what precision? Resolution could also be a user-settable
property.

Another way to define resolution is by how you are drawing the points.
If you are drawing dots at 1pt diameter, then there is no reason to plot
two separate dots that are only 0.1pt from each-other.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

[EMAIL PROTECTED]