> mpl.use('WXAgg') has to come before "import pylab"

Right, my mistake. My mpl defaults to wxagg, so I didn't notice that.
I'll post an updated one to the devel list.

> once running, it's not working quite right: the tooltip always is at the
> bottom of the Window, though it does track the X location.

Hm, dunno. I'm running win32 (winxp), Python 2.4.3.
>>> wx.__version__
'2.6.3.3'
>>> matplotlib.__version__
'0.87.5'

Maybe try updating your wx install.

> oddly it looks likeit's getting it's coords in figure units (0 to 1),
> whcih shouldn't work with a wxWindow.

That's as expected. It's using MPL's event.xdata and event.ydata
attributes, which are in data coords. If you want pixel coordinates, you
can use event.x and event.y (I think).

Martin