I wonder: how hard would it be to add some intelligence to the
interpreter and/or exception handler such that if the manner of (mis)use
of one of these implied that what the programmer meant was the other,
then the error message would say something like "Perhaps you meant to
use axis (or axes, as appropriate) here?"

DG

ERD/ORR/NOS/NOAA <http://response.restoration.noaa.gov/emergencyresponse/>