    Mark> Thanks John. This works great.  I think, however, that
    Mark> set_backgroundcolor would be useful.  It should be easy to
    Mark> fix.  If nobody speaks up, I will take a crack at it, Mark

What do you have in mind, a simple convenience function that does

    def set_backgroundcolor(self, color):
        """
        Set the background color of the text by updating the bbox facecolor

        ACCEPTS: any matplotlib color
        """
        if self._bbox is None:
            self._bbox = dict(facecolor=color, edgecolor=color)
        else:
            self._bbox.update(dict(facecolor=color))

I'm not too opposed to it, but it does violate the maxim "There should be one--
and preferably only one --obvious way to do it."  Of course, we
violate this throughout mpl offerings lots of convenience functions,
but it is something to bear in mind.