Hi Derek,
I forgot to mention: you can pass throught your problem by using a masked
array instead of a simple array, and it should work fine, the 'default'
parameter is here to fill missing value by -1.e20, then these directions will
be dropped if your speed_classes not include that missing value (generally we
compute on positives speeds).

--
Lionel Roubeyrie - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
LIMAIR