Perry Greenfield wrote:
> On Feb 7, 2007, at 10:21 AM, John Hunter wrote:
>

>> On 2/7/07, Edin Salkovic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>

>>> Why can't mpl's figures be pickled?
>>>
>> The main thing is we need to add pickle support for all of mpl's
>> extension code
>>
>>   http://docs.python.org/lib/node321.html
>>
>> In earlier attempts people got stuck with trying to pickle the
>> CXX extension code, which was causing some problems, but these
>> problems may be fixed in more recent versions of CXX.  Todd Miller was
>> the last person to look at this in some detail, I think.
>>

> I think Todd did get it to work, but I'll copy him on this just to make
> sure.

I looked at this in the context of numarray session saving and
restoring.   In that context,  I believed there was a general problem
with extension types not being picklable as a matter of developer
expediency:  first order,  pickling support often doesn't get done.   So
my approach was to fudge a little and create "proxy" objects for things
which wouldn't pickle  rather than "fix all extension types."   Where I
left off CXX still didn't support pickling but a Python session with
matplotlib and numarray could be saved;  numarray arrays would be
preserved,  matplotlib objects would be "proxied" but unfortunately the
proxies don't work in that case.

Todd