Switching to PDF works (eventually - see below) but bring with it yet another
set of problems.

First of all, I had to fix backend_pdf.py for MPL to work (w Python 2.3,
anyway).

Two problems:

a) 2.3 doesn't have the sorted function - it uses a .sort() function.  So, I
had to change line 487 from:

chars=sorted(charmap.keys())

to:

chars = charmap.keys()
chars.sort()

b) No update() function (line 396)

So, instead of:
        xobjects.update([(name, value[0]) for (name, value) in
self.markers.items()])

Had to do:

        for (name, value) in self.markers.items():
            xobjects[name]=value[0]

After that, I got my pdf file.  However, if I print the PDF directly, works
fine but when I create an object link to the PDF and print from inside Word,
the printout is degraded (kind of fuzzy with texts).

So, for a temporary work around, I can use PDF instead of EPS and hopefully
that problem will get fixed someday.

--
John Henry