John Pye wrote:
> Hi Eric
>
> I tried the new spy function under Windows and it seemed to work OK. A
> great leap forward, actually, given the problems I had been seeing.
> Merging the spy functions was a good idea (does it work ok for very very
> large, very sparse matrices?)

I don't know any reason it would not, but I have not tried it.

> Trying it under Ubuntu was less straightforward. I built an RPM (python
> setup.py bdist_rpm) then converted it to deb package then installed it.
> It complained about my old ~/.matplotlib/matplotlibrc file so I moved it
> out of the way. Then I fired up again and it was OK.

That sounds like the hard way.  I find it easy to build and install
directly from source--from svn in my case, but from a tarball should be
the same.  I install it in /usr/local instead of /usr/ so as to keep the
distinction between things installed as packages and custom installations.

> In my new Ubuntu install of matplotlib, sans matplotlibrc, I would like
> to switch GUIs to GTKAgg but there doesn't seem to be a
> /etc/matplotlibrc file from which to base my configuration. Is this a
> fault of my rpm-to-deb process, or something that failed during build?
> Is it still possible to run the GTKAgg GUI? Has the config system changed?

A system-wide matplotlibrc file should get installed somewhere--try
using "locate" to find it.  I think a change was made since 0.90 such
that yours will be in a different place than mine is now.  If it turns
out that it got lost in the rpm-to-deb conversion, then look at
matplotlibrc.template in the source directory.  With a couple of string
substitutions you can manually turn that into a valid matplotlibrc file
and specify your numerix (numpy, I hope) and backend.  You can always
put it in your ~/.matplotlib directory, and make local copies in working
directories if you want different defaults for a given project.

> Finally, can I suggest that the website be updated with some information
> about the new release? I couldn't find any readable information about it
> on-line -- had to go to the tarball. I think generally the matplotlib
> community would benefit from more frequently updated website. While I'm
> at it, maybe I could suggest a matplotlib wiki that gets a bit more
> prominance on the homepage and that is *separate* from the scipy one,
> since the scipy wiki gives completely mixed messages about what plotting
> engine is preferred (chaco.wx and VTK and so on) -- it can't be helping
> the matplotlib cause.
> http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/whats_new.html (bit out of date)

Thanks for the good suggestions.  I agree that there could be
improvements--it is just a question of who can find the time and
motivation to make them, amid competing pressures.

Eric