Hi,

I want to make a figure that has three subplots.  The top one should
be a big, mostly square thing.  The bottom two should be rectangular
things.  That is, I want it to look like this:

XXXXX
XXXXX
XXXXX
XXXXX

XXXXX
XXXXX

XXXXX
XXXXX

so, I'm using subplot(311), subplot(312), subplot(313).  But, things
are getting resized so that each of the rows has the same height.
That really messes up the aspect ratio for my top row.

I tried axis('equal') and axis('scaled') after making the first
subplot.  I do indeed get a good aspect ratio, but it shrinks things
to do this, rather than stretching things.  I'd really like the top
row to be taller than the bottom rows.  How can I do this?

If it matters, I make the top box with pcolormesh and the bottom
rectangles with plot.

Thank you,

-michael

--