So I been using the log scale provided by matplotlib.colors.LogNorm, but
have been seing bizarre behaviour.  Basically, high values are not
displayed properly.  I give simple examples below with just two possible
values in the matrix, but all the same issues arise with more varied
values.

First notice that the high value (100000) is displayed as being of
value=1:

from pylab import *
from matplotlib.colors import LogNorm

matrix = ones((30,30))
matrix = matrix*440
matrix[29,29] = 100000

matshow(matrix, norm=LogNorm(vmin=1, vmax=1000000))
colorbar()
show()

The cutoff value for incorrect display (for the scale I am using) seems to
be at 32000:

from pylab import *
from matplotlib.colors import LogNorm

matrix = ones((30,30))
matrix = matrix*440
matrix[29,29] = 32000

matshow(matrix, norm=LogNorm(vmin=1, vmax=1000000))
colorbar()
show()

However, if the value is really high, the color displayed changes again,
although still not to the correct color (please try with values 918000,
920000, and 999000 to see see it progress):

from pylab import *
from matplotlib.colors import LogNorm

matrix = ones((30,30))
matrix = matrix*440
matrix[29,29] = 918000

matshow(matrix, norm=LogNorm(vmin=1, vmax=1000000))
colorbar()
show()

And if one specifies no limits to LogNorm, the colorbar displayed is
incomplete and the colour displayed is wrong in a different way then when
specifying the limits (try value = 999000 as well).

from pylab import *
from matplotlib.colors import LogNorm

matrix = ones((30,30))
matrix = matrix*440
matrix[29,29] = 918000

matshow(matrix, norm=LogNorm())
colorbar()
show()

Either I am completely missing something or there is a major bug.

I am using mpl checked out from svn on 26 March.

Thanks,
Suresh