On Apr 5, 2007, at 8:41 PM, belinda thom wrote:

> So, how do the above observations relate to John Hunter's
> recommendation that I use a timer or idler? It was the reply from
> him that led me to think I might be able to come up w/something
> that worked w/o too much dorking.

My understanding is that John was recommending a method for writing a
GUI application that used matplotlib.  You might be able to use that
approach to write the whole shebang in pylab, but I suspect it would
be difficult to do well.

> Understood. If I could get something working really quickly, I
> might go that route. But it would have to take a few hours tops,
> and that would include me figuring out how to get in mouse clicks
> and draw graphics.

If you need a simple front-end for drawing and receiving mouse
clicks, wxPython's FloatCanvas is probably a fine choice.  The OSX
version of wxPython includes a demo application that showcases the
different UI elements it provides.  I recommend you play around with
the FloatCanvas demo, then look at the documentation and source code
to get an idea of how fast you can get up and running with it.

Ken