Hi,

a friend gave me the little example I attached.
He uses 'gca().images = []' to delete the images. I'm not sure about memory
usage of that method, but I think deleting images (using clf() or the above
way) is quite important, because  otherwise one more image is drawn above the
existing ones.

best regards,
Matthias

>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
import pylab
import numpy

N = 100                                              # to generate a matrix
A = numpy.ones(N)[numpy.newaxis, :]*numpy.arange(N)[:, numpy.newaxis]/(N-1)

pylab.figure(0)
ax = pylab.subplot(111)
for item in pylab.cm.cmapnames[:3]:     # plot some cmap examples
    print " doing cm." + item
    eval("pylab.imshow(A, cmap=pylab.cm."+item+", interpolation='nearest')")
    pylab.savefig(item+'.png')
    ax.images = []                                         # delete images