Thanks for the hint. I just fixed the problem in SVN.

No idea how this problem would have popped up recently. I did some
changes in legend just before 0.90.1, but I do not see how these would
have caused the problem to show up. From what I see, the flaw should
have been there all along. Well, whatever ... it is fixed now.