I have a strange problem with my builds of matplotlib on OS X 10.4: If I
install them from the command line, with setup.py, they install fine and
matplotlib can be imported with no problem. However, I need to build
distributable OS X packages, which I do using bdist_mpkg; when this package
is installed, I get an error when importing pylab:

from pylab import *
Traceback (most recent call last):
 File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
 File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib
/python2.5/site-packages/pylab.py", line 1, in <module>
   from matplotlib.pylab import *
 File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib
/python2.5/site-packages/matplotlib/pylab.py", line 199, in <module>
   import cm
 File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib
/python2.5/site-packages/matplotlib/cm.py", line 5, in <module>
   import colors
 File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib
/python2.5/site-packages/matplotlib/colors.py", line 38, in <module>
   from numerix import array, arange, take, put, Float, Int, putmask, \
 File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib
/python2.5/site-packages/matplotlib/numerix/__init__.py", line 20, in
<module>
   from matplotlib import rcParams, verbose
ImportError: cannot import name rcParams

I would appreciate any help to resolve this issue.

--
Christopher J. Fonnesbeck

Population Ecologist, Marine Mammal Section
Fish & Wildlife Research Institute (FWC)
St. Petersburg, FL

Adjunct Assistant Professor
Warnell School of Forestry and Natural Resources
University of Georgia
Athens, GA

T: 727.235.5570
E: Chris dot Fonnesbeck at MyFWC dot com